About the Festival
Chilliwack Sunflower Festival
By The Creators of Chilliwack Tulip Festival
Opens August 1st 2019
The Chilliwack Sunflower Festival is an ode to of one of the best seasons of the year—summer! The fun begins in August 1 and runs until September 15. With close to 20 acres of beautiful blooming sunflowers in 35 different varieties, it’s the only festival of its kind in BC and surely a sight to see!
What’s On at the Festival?
Start with a stroll through our giant Mammoth sunflowers towering all around you at heights of up to 15 feet, or get up close and personal with any of our gorgeous 6-8 foot Sunrich sunflowers—known for their stunningly perfect blooms.
Then, give yourself a moment to take in our 3-acre field of Dahlias, featuring 54 different varieties—many of which are called dinner plates because they can grow to 10 inches in diameter or more!
And don’t miss our special show garden, filled with almost 35 different varieties of sunflowers, like Baby Bears, Little Beckas, Ruby Eclipses, and Double Lemon Éclairs!
As always, we have plenty of photo ops and props, including our windmill, swings, and portrait frames, to help you get that perfect pic, but this year we’ve added two new features—a massive Dutch wooden shoe, or “Klompen,” for you and your friends or family to climb and sit on, as well as a smaller pair of Dutch shoes, which were handmade and painted in Holland just for our festival.
So if you’re a local photographer, a gardener with a passion for sunflowers, a couple looking for some fabulous getaway pics, or anyone intrigued about Dutch culture, bring your friends, family, or out-of-town visitors and come celebrate the most joyous symbol of summer!
What to Expect
- Close to 20 acres of sunflowers (5-10 in bloom at any given time in phases for the entire 6 week festival)
- 3 acres of Dahlias in 54 varieties.
- 2-acre display garden featuring 35 different varieties of sunflowers.
- Special photo opportunities – there are plenty of places and props to help you get that perfect family photo, a fun shot with friends, or a great new wallpaper pic for your phone. Come check out the windmill, our vintage Dutch bike, our new giant Dutch wooden shoe, selfie frames, and multiple swings, or perch yourself atop our field-viewing platform.
- A u-pick field – feel free to wander this area with a set of clippers until you find the perfect Sunrich sunflower to take home. And new this year, u-pick sweet corn! (Opening August 9th, limited daily supply)
- A variety of food trucks on site, ready to serve you daily.
- Lawn games, including Yardzee, bolaball, giant Jenga, tic-tac-toe, and checkers.
- 10 acres of hop fields to explore and enjoy.
- The Chilliwack Rotary Train – take a ride along the sides of our fields. Perfect for visitors with mobility issues. (Sat/Sun only starting mid August through Sept 8th)
- Our festival store – pick up some fresh-cut or sunflowers, tulip or daffodil bulbs, postcards, photo cards, lots of Van Gogh inspired souvenirs, and more!
- Covered picnic area – you’ll find lots of shade among the sunflowers and hops but you can also enjoy a cold drink or lunch out of the sun in our picnic area.
- Mural created by a local Indigenous artist, Fred Jackson, with cut-outs for fun photos.
- Free parking – we have around 10 acres of field parking, with 5 acres in bark mulch for a better all-weather option.
Accessible to all – handicapped parking is located adjacent to the fields on a pea gravel lot. Just remember we are on a farm and we are completely weather dependent. We have a beautiful covered area that overlooks our fields should the weather make for difficult walking/wheeling around our fields.